Saturday, February 16, 2013

Options!

Ah, it's good to have options.

Just a few weeks ago, when I started this blog, I was wondering if I had any options in academia and if corporate would be a more realistic way to go. Now, I have a contract sitting in front of me, from a tiny university (Uni A), ready to be signed.

AND, I have been invited to a 13 hour interview at another tiny university (Uni B).

Uni B is still a small undergrad-only university. It's a little less small than the one I have the contract for. It's an interview, not a job offer. It's a slightly better city to live in. I know people there.

But... I won't know if I have an offer at Uni B until April, and I have this other contract from Uni A sitting in front of me right now.

But... while the school is (very) slightly better and (slightly) bigger, the actual courses they would be asking me to teach are not as good for me. I'm at risk of being boxed into an area where I would not be easily employable. Uni A is asking me to teach a LOT of more appropriate courses.

But... who knows what the offer from Uni B would actually be like, if it comes at all. Would there be more support for research start-up?  A higher salary? A lighter course load? Flexibility with the course selection? The core courses appear unflexible, but could I tag on a more appropriate one?

Normally, I would tell myself, just go to the interview and see how it goes - you've got nothing to lose. I do have something to lose this time though.

For one, it'll be expensive. They pay the flight and hotel, but I will miss three days of work and I have zero paid vacation days at this crap job I'm in now, so I'd lose three days of pay (and productivity). And I would have to spend at least one weekend putting together a presentation for them. And I would have to spend one agonizing day of non-stop hobnobbing, from breakfast with the dean to dinner with the committee. Ugh.

I'm leaning toward turning down this interview. I will sit with it for a few days before I decide. Regardless of that decision though, gawsh, it feels good to have options. It is so very nice to be wanted.

No comments: