Sunday, February 3, 2013

Accepted

Accepted.

A professor job.

At a crappy little university.

In a crappy little town.

And I'm nauseated about it.

Am I really going to do this? The truth is, I'm still not sure. I accepted the offer, but I'm still not sure. I may pull out. Some would say that's unethical, unprofessional... but the academic job market is absolutely dismal these days.

You see, dear Internet, when this job was posted, I didn't apply for it right away. I let it sit there for a while, because I didn't want it. Then, I finally decided to submit the application as a way of testing the bottom limits of what I might be eligible for. I figured if I didn't even get shortlisted for a job like this, I need to find a new career. What I didn't count on was this school moving faster than all the rest, so it's my first offer, and I have no idea if any others are coming.

The academic job market is dismal. I could not turn this down and perhaps end up unemployed in a few months. But... really??? This job???

Before accepting, I thoroughly googled how to withdraw from an academic job offer you've already accepted. It's controversial, folks, but it has been done before and it will be done again. Perhaps by me.

Would someone pour me a drink?

No comments: