Thursday, April 17, 2014

Jobs, jobs, jobs

How does an academic get a regular job?  I've submitted my resume to two dozen non-academic positions in the last two weeks. Some are a good fit, some are a stretch.  All are a challenge when I'm trying to figure out the cover letter and resume.

Dear people. I have a Ph.D, but I'm not motivated enough to do a Ph.D. level job, so I'm applying to your undergraduate level job. Maybe I'll like it, or maybe I'll dump y'all as soon as something better comes up. Please hire me anyway. Sincerely, Joe Blow.

Yeah, I haven't gotten any calls yet.

How do I get a regular job.... how, how, how. I really feel like I need something if I'm going to make this big move. I've gotten to the point that I really, really don't want to be here for another year. But I need something to go to.

Of course, the plans for next year here at dead-end college are advancing and I can't tell them I'm (maybe) leaving yet. So, that's stressful. I can't seem to commit to here no matter what happens, because I know that if ever THAT JOB I originally considered comes up, I'm applying for it and taking it (if offered) no matter what time it is in the academic year. October? Oh well, bye bye.  So, yeah, that's stressful. I'm feeling dishonest. I really don't want to screw them over. But what else can I do?

Stress level = 110%

End of incoherent, rambling post.

No comments: