Sunday, March 16, 2014

Growing acceptance

This new plan of mine is starting to feel comfortable. I think I'm leaving academia.

I sent off two non-academic job applications today - one for a posted position and one for that job that I didn't get last year. It's not posted, but hey, I reiterated my interest in case they should need someone.

The number one criteria this time: location. I need to be where I need to be. I had to fly through that coveted city yesterday and it was agony not to be able to just stay. It's home.  So, I will make it home again.

Other criteria?  I want there to be some sort of data analysis involved.  I don't want it to be in academia if it means I'm working under a PI in an academic setting. I'm comfortable with a community organization, healthcare organization, etc.

It's a real problem, ths Ph.D. thing. You see, "my field" is not actually a marketable field. There's almost nothing I can actually do. There's one job. It's that job I keep talking about. I want it, I need it.

So, now I have to get through the end of the semester without killing any students. I have to find a job. I have to leave this one in some way even though there will be contract issues at some point. I have to NOT follow through on any of the academic job applications I put out there (this one could be tough - if the opportunity comes up, will I have the courage not to take it?)

Fast forward... let's get this done.

No comments: