Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dreaming

Now that I'm between semesters, I finally have a little down time to dream. No, of course I shouldn't be lightening up my load, of course not. I should be powering ahead on upcoming courses and research -- at least that's what the pressure of academia tells me. I'm trying to do things my way though, and my way includes a little bit of dreaming.

What am I dreaming about? Don't get too excited, dear Internet. I'm just dreaming about work.

The thing is, I have a few applications out for tenure-track positions and one more I'm considering submitting. The application process is so intense that you can't do this sort of thing without dreaming. For each one I prepare, I dream up a whole new life for myself. I (virtually) explore the city, I "buy" a house, I check out my new neighborhood, I google my new colleagues, I start planning my trip to the campus for the job talk -- because of course I'm going to get invited to each and every campus. I even ponder the decision I will make when each and every one of them offers me a job. Which will I choose, given the university, the city, the real estate market, and the proximity of Starbucks?

I kid you not, I've identified the area Starbucks (or lack thereof) in each and every city I've applied to.

It's going to work this year, isn't it?  I'm going to get my tenure track job?  I'm so, so ready for a little stability.

Please, let this not just be a dream.

No comments: