Sunday, February 2, 2014

Random dribble

It's been just over a year since I started this blog. Ironically, I'm in the same spot as I was then.  Waiting. Wondering. Pondering. And waiting some more.

I have a handful of job applications out there and I'm waiting for some feedback. I know my application is stronger than it was last year. So, if I got two callbacks last year, I have to get something this year, right?  Or maybe not. Maybe the fit won't be right. Maybe I don't have the "right" ones this year.  Time will tell. So, I wait.

I wait and I work, that is. Because work is all I do.  The course overload handed out to this first-year professor? Ridiculous. There's no way anyone can develop and teach this many new courses and maintain an appropriate university level. It's just a sign that this is a really crappy school and they don't care about the quality of the education they're giving their students.

They also don't seem to care about faculty retention, which baffles me. Really, they could be at least making an effort to keep me. But, they're not, even though they do need someone in my position to keep the program running. I don't get it. Their behavior is really very baffling to me.

All the more reason to keep applying to new jobs.

I just want to know where I'll be in... what, six months?  It's deja vu all over again, that's for sure.

My patience is low, my dedication is lagging, my courses are increasingly crap because I haven't had any prep time whatsoever, and therefore my interest and conviction about what I do are.... low, really really low.

But tomorrow is another day.






No comments: