Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Student Evaluations

Ghad, student evaluations suck. It's too early for formal evaluations. But by the time formal evaluations roll around, it's too late. So I did an early informal one myself.  Most of the responses are very positive -- not perfect, but certainly more than positive enough for me to keep my job.

Then there's that other one.

One student: crash. and. freaking. burn.

So, I've got one unidentified student sitting there in my (small) class hating every moment of it and hating ME. Yes, there were enough questions on there about the personal characteristics of the professor that the person actually does hate ME.

How do I go back in there and keep up my upbeat attitude?

This was supposed to be a little activity to reassure me that all was well. Yeah, of course I knew there could be problems, but I didn't expect an evaluation THAT bad. Seriously, folks, it's ALL bad and nothing but bad.

It's just one student. It's not a big deal. The majority was extremely positive. It's just one student. It's just one student. It's just one student.

But it feels like shit.

No comments: